Thursday, November 11, 2010

Where is your Milk from?

Do you know where your Milk and other Dairy Products come from?
The Real California Milk and Real California Cheese seals certify that "the dairy products bearing them are made exclusively with California Milk from California's 1,750 dairy families".

When buying Cheese, I Always look for the Real California Cheese seal. I love to try new cheeses and am always excited to try something new from a CA producer. Some of my favorites are the Brie, Camembert and Breakfast Cheeses from Marin French Cheese and the variety of hand-crafted, artisan cheeses from Fiscalini Cheese Co. Ironically enough, Marin French Cheese Co. is only a few miles from where I grew up on my parents' dairy, and Fiscalini Cheese Co. is located only a few miles from where my husband and I are now raising our children on our family dairy.

When buying Milk, I like to look for the Real California Milk seal. Over the past year, however, I have started doing the great majority of our shopping at Costco, to keep up with our growing boys and their high food intake levels! What am I going to do when they are teenagers?!  With two small boys, I like to get as much shopping done in one stop as possible to avoid the opportunity for tantrums, so I've started purchasing our milk at Costco... the downside? The Kirkland label does not have the Real California Milk seal. So... where is our milk coming from?

where is my milk from?

Recently I discovered a site that will answer this very question... Where is my Milk From? This site lets you enter the plant code listed on your milk packaging and gives you results in seconds! I was relieved to find that our Kirkland brand was packaged at a plant in Fresno, CA! This morning I had to make a quick stop at a local gas station to grab a couple gallons to get us through until my next shopping trip. I Thrilled to see the Real California Milk Seal on the labels, and easily learned that they were packaged at a plant in Berkely, CA.

Aside from milk, you can also find the packaging location of other dairy products in your refrigerator, such as yogurt, cottage cheese, ice cream, sour cream, and many more. Grab the dairy products from your fridge and enter the plant code to see where they came from!

Something you may find interesting when you are shopping... take a peek at the plant codes on the store brand vs. name brand milk jugs the next time you're in the dairy aisle. You may be surprised to find the Same plant code and a time stamp only differing by an hour or two. What does this mean? The store brand and the name brand are the Same Milk! They're packaging the same milk in two different packages and marketing them differently, the difference is just the price the consumer is willing to pay to buy the name brand.  Got Milk?

1 comment:

GASP Guild said...

Hi, I'm trying to find a definitive answer about 'Real California Cheese' containing added growth hormones or not. Your post came up in the results but there is no mention of rGBH or anything like that.

I guess I have to stop kidding myself about Costco's Kirkland cheese-- the lack of information on this point indicates that avoiding rGBH-tainted milk is not a requirement to get that seal. Oh! And I generally have such high expectations of California being ahead of the curve.

BTW, my concerns about rGBH include the possible link to growth of tumors, and the exposure to heightened levels of antibiotics. I've got enough barraging my body without that stuff.

Thanks for the tip on Where Is My Milk From.