Thursday, October 11, 2012

What's for dinner tonight?

A couple of years ago, I stumbled on a recipe for Savory Stuffed Peppers in a Mrs. Dash ad. I made it once and my husband Loved it! I much prefer my bell peppers in the raw, but once in a while it's good for the relationship - and the heart - to let him have his way.
 
I didn't say that it had to be often, it haaass been at least 2 years since the last time I made this. Honestly, I forgot about it until I found it in my cookbook... but the fact that it made him look forward to dinner, well, that was nice!
 
First, top and hollow out your bell peppers, then place them in a deep baking dish.
 
 
Mix together your "stuffing" ingredients in a bowl - this made my hands sticky and dirty, so no photo, but I'm sure you can use your imagination.
 
Then stuff your peppers. 
 
Pour marinara sauce over the top and sprinkle with Parmesan cheese. 
 
Cover the dish and bake for 45 mins.
 
 
Score! He was happy! Though I think the boys prefer their peppers raw, like their mommy. :)
 
 
Savory Stuffed Peppers
Ingredients:
4 large bell peppers (I used 5 avg size)
1 cup Minute Brown Rice, uncooked
2 Tbsp. Mrs. Dash Tomato Basil Garlic Salt-Free Seasoning Blend (I used Tbsp. Lawry's 17-Seasoning)
1 pound lean, ground round (I used ground venison)
1 egg, lightly beaten
1/2 cup plain bread crumbs (I used Italian bread crumbs)
1-24 oz jar low sodium marinara sauce
1/4 cup Parmesan cheese, shredded
 
REMOVE tops and seeds from peppers. Place into a deep oven-proof baking dish.
COMBINE Minute Brown Rice and Mrs Dash seasoning. Blend beef, egg and bread crumbs into rice mix. Stuff mixture into peppers.
POUR sauce over peppers and sprinkle with cheese. Cover dish and bake at 350* for 45 minutes or until peppers are tender.
Serves 4.
 
 

No comments: