Monday, October 21, 2013

Hunk of Meat Monday: Tender and Tangy Ribs

 

Sometimes, the dinner planning process can be a bit overwhelming. When I forget to take something out of the freezer the day before or I just don't feel like cooking.... Crock Pot... to the Rescue!
 
A few years ago, my mom gave me this Fix It And Forget It cookbook, and though I've only made a few recipes from it, there are ones that I come back to. One of those is this Tender and Tangy Ribs recipe. The boneless pork ribs were 5 for $5 at the grocery store a couple of weeks back, a great deal for 2+ pounds of pork!


The recipe for Tender and Tangy Ribs calls for:
3/4-1 cup vinegar - I use 3/4 cup cider vinegar
1/2 cup ketchup
2 Tbsp sugar
2 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce
1 garlic clove, minced - I use 3 cloves.
Pssst, I never use less than double the garlic Any recipe calls for, and even add it into most recipes that don't call for it at all. It's too yummy to pass up!
1 tsp dry mustard
1 tsp paprika
1/2 tsp salt
1/8 tsp pepper
2 lbs pork spareribs
1 Tbsp oil

In a mixing bowl, I mixed all of the ingredients, except for the pork ribs and the oil. The recipe says to "Brown the ribs in oil in skillet" before transferring them to the crockpot. I have never browned the ribs before putting them into the crockpot, sometimes they are still frozen, as they were on this day, so browning them is out of the question. They still turn out excellent!

Also, I realized that I didn't have dry mustard on hand, so I subbed in a big squirt of yellow mustard. instead. The last time I made this recipe, I used a big squirt of spicy brown mustard, which I would have preferred, but on this day, I was out of dried And spicy brown mustard. Go figure.

Then I put the ribs into the crockpot, poured the mixture over the top, and turned it on low.
All day they sat in there - the house smelled fantastic! 
I will apologize at this point for no plated or "finished product" photos - the gang was hungry at dinner time and I didn't get a chance! They were gone. This wasn't the first time I made these, and certainly won't be the last.
 
Check out these other Hunk of Meat recipes!
The House that Ag Built - Chicken Wraps
Pinke Post - Traditional Meatballs
Walking the Off-Beaten Path - Fish Fry!
Rural Route Ramblings - Easy Meatloaf Recipe
 
 

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

This was gross and a complete waste is time, food and money.

Anonymous said...

I made these tonight and they were delicious! I used brown sugar instead of regular sugar and added sweet baby rays for a little extra flavor. Thanks for the receive!

Anonymous said...

Recipe** sorry auto correct

tracy said...

What is the oil for?? It says to leave it out but never mentions it again.

Unknown said...

Tracy- The oil is for browning the ribs in a pan on the stove, before putting them into the crock pot. I skip this step when I am putting frozen ribs directly into the pot.