Sunday, October 20, 2013

A little Thanksgiving painting project

Last Halloween, we made our own rendition of a Pinterest inspired canvas painting project. The boys created Jack-O-Lanterns to display each year, that I could not wait to hang up this year.
 
Ever since, I have been slightly obsessed with coming up with canvas paintings for every holiday! A while back, I bought 2 - 12"x24" canvases, but could not figure out what to do with them. Then I came across a pin that had a child's name spelled out, and that's where I got the idea for this project.
All you need is a blank canvas and a roll of masking tape. I measured the board to be sure that I had the letters semi-centered, and then tore the tape into bits and pieced the letters together.

 
This is what it looked like when I got done taping. 

Then came the fun part! I used a single sponge brush and 3 paint colors - brown, orange and yellow. I figured they were "fall-ish" and the yellow would help to brighten it up.

After about 2 minutes, it looked like this - and I realized that I had squirted enough paint for 1, maybe 2 more canvases! Oops.

Once the paint had dried, I peeled the tape off. At times I had to use a razorblade to lift pry it from the paint.

 Then I used a Sharpie pen to trace the letters, following the paint line. The lettering is a bit more 'edgy' than I like for a Thanksgiving look, so next time I'll try using longer tape strips to create a smoother look.
I've got one more of these 12"x24" canvases left - I'm thinking a Christmas or New Year's message... maybe some glitter over the paint to add some sparkle!
 
Just a tip, if you are interested in creating a canvas collection, check out Aaron Brothers. They have sales that include Buy 1, Get 2 Free on canvases!

No comments: