Friday, May 27, 2011

One Fish, Two Fish...

I finally realized why I don't post many recipes, I am completely intimidated by the accompanying photography presented in my fellow bloggers' cooking posts, that my recipes do not seem nearly as appetizing!

There, now that I've got that out, here's hoping that I can move on. If only to share some favorite recipes with you, so please share your photos if you try any of them! ;)

I came across this recipe on AllRecipes.com about a year ago, and I have made it many times since. It's been a hit with our boys, too... which is not saying much for two guys who will eat just about everything you put on the plate in front of them, but they always ask for seconds!

One of my favorite things about AllRecipes is that you can rate and post comments and suggestions on recipes that you've tried. This has come in especially handy when I don't have time to try out 72 recipes to find the one that everyone likes. By reading the comments and suggestions, pretty much every recipe I've tried from the site has been a hit.

This favorite - Cod with Italian Crumb Topping - is about as easy as it comes! I have always been, and still am, shy when it comes to cooking fish. I'm finally getting the hang of BBQ'ing without having to fillet the meat open on the grill "just to be sure", and I'm slowly building my confidence in the fish department. So when it comes to baking fish, I'm all over it!

Start off with bread crumbs, parmesan cheese, corn meal, olive oil, Italian seasoning, garlic powder and black pepper - mix them together in a bowl.
In a separate bowl - or coffee mug - lightly beat 1 egg white.

Brush the egg white over the Cod...
Then sprinkle the crumb topping over the top.

Bake and Enjoy!
This photo would have been much better, had I had the chance to take it Before the troops served up half of it! For the complete recipe, click Here.

Just the other night, I gave this recipe a try with some Tilapia that I picked up at Costco. I did make some slight modifications though...

I dipped the fish in a bowl of olive oil and pressed garlic, letting the excess oil drip back into the bowl. I then flipped the fillets, coating lightly, in a mixture of Panko breadcrumbs, parmesan cheese, corn meal, dried basil and black pepper, before tossing them on the Grill! They were delicious!

This photo is what was 'left-over' of nearly 1 lb. of fish, alongside the remnants of 1 lb. of asparagus I grilled to go along with it... I'm going to need a new job to feed these boys before they hit their 'teens! I drizzled the asparagus with olive oil and balsamic vinegar, and tossed it with crushed garlic and halved-baby bella mushrooms. Even better when you substitute thickly sliced portabellos!

Now that my food-photo-posting-phobia has been made public, I promise to do better at sharing recipes. Objects in photos taste better than they appear!

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Sounds great, and your pictures are just fine. It is a royal pain to take pictures while cooking, get the perfect shot, and NOT totally cover your priceless camera in what you are making. Can't wait 'til the girls are a bit older and can help with some part of this process!

Sarah said...

Food is so hard to photograph. You did a great job. This looks delish. Have you posted the recipe for porcupine meatballs yet? Just wanted to make sure I didn't miss it.

www.thisfarmfamilyslife.blogspot.com

Unknown said...

Looks yummy!! I have had some fish in the freezer for while... thanks for the idea!!

Unknown said...

Coming Soon: Porcupine Meatballs :)