Wednesday, June 01, 2011

June is Dairy Month

Did you know that June is Dairy Month? 

In honor of Dairy Month, I would like to share some California dairy trivia with you, curtesy of the Real California Milk site. This site is filled with information on California dairy producers, products and recipes, be sure to check it out!

The first cows settled in the West in 1769.

California became the nation’s dairy leader in 1993. Dairy farming is the leading agricultural commodity in California.

The Real California Cheese seal was introduced more than 25 years ago.

California is home to more than 50 cheesemakers who produce 250 different varieties and styles of cheese.

Approximately 1,750 families run dairies in California. And we are  proud to be one of them!

40% of California’s milk supply goes to cheese production.

It takes 10 pounds of milk to make one pound of cheese.

California produced 21% of the nation’s milk supply in 2009.

In honor of Dairy Month, I will be posting recipes, photos and other fun dairy related items. Be sure to let me know if you have a specific favorite or request!
Cheers!


Today we've linked up with Katie at Pinke Post... won't you join us?

2 comments:

Sarah said...

I did NOT know June is dairy month. I grew up on a dairy farm so this is good to know!;0). I am adding this to my What I Love Wednesday with a link to your blog!

Sarah said...

Oh yeah! Thanks for the porcupine meatball recipe. It looks scrumptious!